RESUMÉ FOR MIN KAHNG
PLAYS & MUSICALS
Calafia: A Re-Imagining (in development)
- Adaptation of The Adventures of Esplandian by Garci Rodriguez de Montalvo
- Experimental Sound Workshop: May 2016, San Francisco, CA at Playwrights Foundation.
GOLD: The Midas Musical (in development)
- Musical adaptation of the Greek myth
- Developmental reading: November 2016, San Francisco, CA at Playwrights Foundation.
Lowcountry (assisted) Living (in development)
- Musical collaboration with playwright Brad Erickson
- Writers Retreat: April 2018, TheatreWorks Silicon Valley in Redwood City, CA
- Residency: January 2018, Djerassi Winter Residency in Woodside, CA
- Developmental Reading: December 2014, New Conservatory Theatre Center in San Francisco, CA
- Residency: April 2014, Djerassi Resident Artists Program in Woodside, CA
Inside Out & Back Again (in development)
- Stage adaptation of Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai
- Commissioned by Bay Area Children's Theatre
- Workshop: December 2017, Berkeley, CA. Bay Area Children's Theatre
- Developmental reading: August 2017, Berkeley, CA. Bay Area Children's Theatre
The Four Immigrants: An American Musical Manga
- Musical adaptation of Henry Kiyama's "documentary comic book," translated by Frederik L. Schodt
- World Premiere: July 2017 at the Lucie Stern Theatre in Palo Alto, CA with TheatreWorks Silicon Valley
- Recipient of the Edgerton New Play Award
- Recipient of a NAMT Production Grant
- Recipient of the Theatre Bay Area Award for Outstanding Original Musical
- Recipient of 6 San Francisco Bay Area Theatre Critics Circle Awards including Original Script, Original Music, and Entire Production - Bay Area.
- Finalist for 9 additional Theatre Bay Area Awards
- Nominated for 5 additional Bay Area Theatre Critics Circle Awards
- Workshop: April 2017, San Francisco, CA. Playwrights Foundation.
- Staged Readings: August 2016, Palo Alto, CA. TheatreWorks Silicon Valley New Works Festival 2016.
- Staged Reading: December 2015, Redwood City, CA. TheatreWorks Silicon Valley.
- Developmental Reading: January 2015, Oakland, CA. Participant in the inaugural Musical Cafe Showcase.
- Writers Retreat: April 2014, TheatreWorks Silicon Valley, Redwood City, CA
Step Up Crew: A Street Smart Concert
- School Assembly Touring Show about public transportation safety
- World Premiere & School Tour: May 2017-Ongoing
- Commissioned by San Francisco Unified School District
- Musical adaptation of stories created by children living with autism and other special needs
- Partially funded by the National Endowment for the Arts, the East Bay Community Foundation, a Theatre Bay Area CA$H Grant, and the generosity of individual donors.
- School Tour: March 2018-Ongoing at various schools throughout the Bay Area
- World premiere: February 18, 2017 at the Osher Studio in Berkeley, CA with Bay Area Children's Theatre
- In-school Workshops: September 2015-December 2015, and January 2017 in various Bay Area schools.
Bad Kitty On Stage!
- Stage adaptation of Nick Bruel's Bad Kitty series
- Co-comissioned by Bay Area Children's Theatre & Oregon Children's Theatre
- World premiere: January & February 2016 in Portland and the SF Bay Area
- Subsequent Productions: January 2017 with TYKEs at the JCC Rochester, NY. May-June 2017 with Gifford Family Theatre in Syracuse, NY.
- Workshop: August 2015, Oakland, CA. Bay Area Children's Theatre.
- Workshop: July 2015, Portland, OR. Oregon Children's Theatre.
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
- Musical adaptation of Grace Lin's Newbery Honor novel
- World premiere: February 22, 2014 at the Osher Studio in Berkeley, CA with Bay Area Children's Theatre
- Recipient of three Theatre Bay Area Awards in 2014; Finalist in seven categories
The Song of the Nightingale
- Two-act musical based upon Hans Christian Andersen’s The Nightingale
- World premiere: October 11, 2013 with Altarena Playhouse in Alameda, CA
- Nominated for a SF Bay Area Critic's Circle Award for Original Musical
- Subsequent Production: October 2017 at Town Hall Theatre in Lafayette, CA
- Developmental reading at Diablo Theatre Company, June 2011
- Staged Reading performance produced by Altarena Playhouse November 22, 2010 at the Little Theater in Alameda, CA
Tales of Olympus Jr.
- One-act, condensed version specifically designed for young actors
- World premiere: September 18, 2015 at the Firehouse Arts Center in Pleasanton, CA with Civic Arts Stage Company and Bay Area Children's Theatre.
Tales of Olympus: A Greek Myth Musical
- Two-act Children’s Musical based upon Greek mythology
- World premiere: December 8, 2012 at the Osher Studio in Berkeley, CA with Bay Area Children’s Theatre
- Toured twenty-six elementary schools in the Bay Area in Jan-Feb 2013
- Touring the greater Chicagoland area with American Eagle Productions.
- Variations on a Fairy Tale, The Leap 2017, American Conservatory Theater MFA Program
- Please Seat Yourself, ShortLived 2017, PianoFight
- Homeless Fairy Godmother, FlashPlays 2016, Playwrights Foundation
- Space Spelunker, FlashPlays 2016, Playwrights Foundation
SONGS FOR SPECIAL EVENTS
- Like Lotto, What's Your Story Bay Area? Muttville, FOGG Theatre Company
AWARDS, GRANTS & HONORS
- Djerassi Residency
- Bay Area Theatre Critics Circle Awards for Original Script, Original Music, and Entire Production - The Four Immigrants
- Theatre Bay Area Award for Outstanding World Premiere of a Musical - The Four Immigrants
- Edgerton Foundation New Play Award to TheatreWorks for The Four Immigrants
- NAMT Production Grant to TheatreWorks for The Four Immigrants
- Lafayette Community Foundation, Anonymous Donor to Town Hall Theatre for The Song of the Nightingale
- Bill Graham Foundation Grant to Town Hall Theatre for The Song of the Nightingale
- Mechanics Bank Grant, Lafayette Branch to Town Hall Theatre for The Song of the Nightingale
- Theatre Bay Area CA$H Grant for Story Explorers
- East Bay Fund for Artists Grant for Story Explorers
- Resident Playwright with Playwrights Foundation
- NEA Grant to Bay Area Children's Theatre for Story Explorers
- NAMT Writers Residency Grant to TheatreWorks for The Four Immigrants
- Theatre Bay Area CA$H Grant for The Four Immigrants
- TheatreWorks Writers Retreat participant
- Theatre Bay Area Titan Award recipient
- East Bay Fund for Artists Grant for Tales of Olympus
- Safeway Foundation Grant to Bay Area Children's Theatre for Tales of Olympus
EDUCATION & TRAINING
2016 Resident Playwright with Playwrights Foundation
2013 Business of Arts Workshop: East Bay Community Foundation & Center for Cultural Innovation
2013 ATLAS for Playwrights: Theatre Bay Area
2004 BA Music & Rhetoric: University of California, Berkeley
Dramatists Guild of America
Theatre Communications Group
Theatre Bay Area
Theatre for Young Audiences/USA
PANEL, SPEAKING & GUEST LECTURE EXPERIENCE
- Guest Artist, Practical Aspects of Being A Professional Musician, San Francisco Conservatory of Music, CA
- Guest Artist, Creating A Musical, TAPS department, Stanford University, CA
- Master Class Teacher, Song-aturgy: Making Musical Songs Serve Your Story
- Guest Presenter, Lit Up, Town Hall Theatre, Lafayette, CA
- Panelist, Radical Hope & The New Resistance, Dramatists Guild Town Hall at 3 Girls Theatre New Works Festival, San Francisco, CA
- Guest Speaker, How Musical Theatre Songs Work, Town Hall Theatre Summer Camp, Lafayette, CA
- Presenter, Song Slam, One Theatre World Conference, Berkeley, CA
- Guest Artist, Theatre and Loneliness, TDPS department, UC Berkeley, CA
- Resume Doctor, Theatre Bay Area Annual Conference, Berkeley, CA
- Panelist, How to Get Your Musical Produced, Musical Cafe, Berkeley, CA
- CA$H Grant Panelist, Theatre Bay Area, San Francisco, CA
- Master Class Teacher, Song and Dramaturgy, Playwrights' Center of San Francisco, CA
- Guest Lecturer, Theatre/Forensics, San Jose State University, CA
- TBA Conference Panelist, Intrinsic Impact, Berkeley, CA
- Open Door Panelist, TheatreWorks (San Francisco State, Berkeley High, Willow Glen High), CA
- The Dramatist, "What are the Obligations of Writing Outside Your Own Ethnicity?" Contributor
- Beauty & the Beast Jr., Bay Area Children's Theatre
- Mulan Jr., Bay Area Children's Theatre
- The Little Mermaid Jr., Bay Area Children’s Theatre
- Once Upon a Mattress (Kids Version), Bay Area Children’s Theatre
- Shout! The Mod Musical, Tri-Valley Repertory Theatre
- Seussical Jr., Bay Area Children’s Theatre
- Aladdin Jr., Bay Area Children’s Theatre
- The Last Five Years, Tri-Valley Repertory Theatre
- Café Broadway, Bay Area Children’s Theatre
- The Nightingale, Altarena Playhouse/Min Kahng (Staged Reading)
- Beasts of Broadway, Bay Area Children’s Theatre
THEATRE MUSIC & VOCAL DIRECTION
- The Song of the Nightingale, Altarena Playhouse, Christina Lazo dir.
- Reel Blondes: Back to the Roots, Jeff Seaberg dir.
- Tales of Olympus: A Greek Myth Musical, Bay Area Children’s Theatre, Emily Morrison dir.
- Annie, Tri-Valley Repertory Theatre, John Maio dir.
- Alice in Wonderland Jr., Bay Area Children’s Theatre, Meredith Meeks dir.
- Bat Boy, Tri-Valley Repertory Theatre, Paul Plain dir.
- Little Shop of Horrors, Town Hall Kids, Joel Roster dir.
- I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change, Altarena Playhouse, Noah Haydon dir.
- Once On This Island Jr., Bay Area Children’s Theatre, Meredith Meeks dir.
- HONK!, A Dramatic Cure, Chris Ciabattoni dir.
- Peter Pan, Alameda High School, Fred Chacon dir.
- Cinderella (R&H), Tri-Valley Repertory Theatre, Kathleen Breedveld dir.
- The Wizard of Oz, Bay Area Children’s Theatre, Meredith Meeks dir.
- Disney’s Cinderella Kids, Bay Area Children’s Theatre, Rebecca Posamentier dir.
- Annie, Alameda Civic Light Opera, Christina Lazo dir.
- Seussical, Tri-Valley Repertory Theatre, Eric Neiman dir.
- Beauty & the Beast, Pleasanton Playhouse, Kathleen Breedveld dir.
- Urinetown, Pleasanton Playhouse, Eric Neiman dir.
- Little Shop of Horrors, San Ramon Community Theater, Mike Kasin dir.
- Story Explorers School Tour, Clayton, Bay Area Children's Theatre, Hannah Dworkin dir.
- Story Explorers, Clayton, Bay Area Children's Theatre, Hannah Dworkin dir.
- Seussical TYA, Cat in the Hat Understudy, Bay Area Children's Theatre, DerekTravis Collard dir.
- The Day the Crayons Quit, the Musical, Green Crayon, Developmental Reading, Bay Area Children's Theatre, Nina Meehan dir., written by Austin Zumbro
- I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change, Tri-Valley Repertory Theatre, Christina Lazo dir.
- Reel Blondes, Dante/Ensemble, Victoria’s Reel Blondes, Jeff Seaberg dir.
- Tales of Olympus, Hermes, Bay Area Children’s Theatre, Emily Morrison dir.
- Legally Blonde, Lowell, Diablo Theatre Company, Gia Solari dir.
- Japanese Demons and How To Date Them (Reading), Akira (lead), Playwrights Center SF
- Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Joseph (lead), Tri-Valley Repertory Theatre, Todd Aragon dir.
- I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change, Tri-Valley Repertory Theatre, Christina Lazo dir.
- Lady Windermere’s Fan, Lord Darlington (lead), San Leandro Players, Hallie Hunt dir.
- Godspell, Jesus (lead), A Dramatic Cure, Chris Ciabattoni dir.
- Another Depression (Staged Reading), Oral Hender (lead), Sylvia Bayeux dir.
- HONK!, The Cat, Contra Costa Christian Theatre, Derrick Silva dir.
- Thoroughly Modern Millie, Jimmy Smith, Pleasanton Playhouse, John Baiocchi dir.
- A Christmas Carol, Bob Cratchit, San Ramon Community Theater, Mike Kasin dir.
- Jekyll & Hyde, John Utterson, Diablo Valley College, Buddy Butler dir.
OTHER MUSICAL/THEATRE WORK
Marketing Director, Bay Area Children's Theatre, 2014 to 2017
- Construct and execute marketing strategy, according to budget and business plan goals
- Develop and implement audience feedback and research
- Oversee brand messaging and awareness
Casting Director, Bay Area Children's Theatre, 2016 to 2017
- Coordinate auditions and callbacks for Mainstage performances, student matinees and touring shows
- Assist creative teams with and communicate with actors about casting process and decisions
- Maintain database of actor headshots & resumés
Publicity Coordinator, Altarena Playhouse, 2014 to 2015
- Generate and distribute communication and press materials for season productions
- Manage publicity calendar
- Maintain website & social media
Youth Education Program Instructor, Bay Area Children’s Theatre, 2010 to 2014
- Primary teacher and director of the early teen class (ages 11-14)
- Direct and produce high quality shows for young performers each session
- Provide specific feedback to parents for guidance on future theatre goals for their children
Songwriter/Singer, 1995 to present
- Have written over 50 pop and art songs (unrelated to theatre)
- Have performed at special events ranging from open mic nights to City of Pleasanton Chamber of Commerce Employee Appreciation Banquet
Marketing Coordinator, Bay Area Children’s Theatre, 2011 to 2014
- Coordinate with graphic designer, copywriter and director to create and distribute marketing pieces
- Maintain Marketing Calendar
Church Pianist, Epiphany Lutheran Church, 2011 to 2014
- Play liturgical and special music each Sunday
- Accompany choir and other special performances/services at the church
Voice Teacher, Self-employed, 2008 to 2013
- Self-run studio consisting of about 15 students
- Conduct semi-annual recitals for students
- Train students in technique, artistry, showmanship and theory