RESUMÉ FOR MIN KAHNG
Calafía (in development)
- Musical adaptation of The Adventures of Esplandian by Garci Rodriguez de Montalvo
- Experimental Sound Workshop conducted May 2016 at Playwrights Foundation.
Midas, the Musical (in development)
- Musical adaptation of the Greek myth
- Developmental reading: November 2017, San Francisco, CA with Playwrights Foundation.
The Four Immigrants: An American Musical Manga (in development)
- Musical adaptation of Henry Kiyama's "documentary comic book," translated by Frederik L. Schodt
- World Premiere: July 2017 at the Lucie Stern Theatre in Palo Alto, CA with TheatreWorks Silicon Valley.
- Workshop: April 2017, San Francisco, CA. Playwrights Foundation.
- Staged Readings: August 2016, Palo Alto, CA. TheatreWorks Silicon Valley New Works Festival 2016.
- Staged Reading: December 2015, Redwood City, CA. TheatreWorks Silicon Valley.
- Developmental Reading: January 2015, Oakland, CA. Participant in the inaugural Musical Cafe Showcase.
- Developed at the 2014 TheatreWorks Silicon Valley Writers Retreat
Step Up Crew (in development)
- School Assembly Touring Show about public transportation safety
- Touring begins May 2017
- Commissioned by San Francisco Unified School District
- Musical adaptation of stories created by children living with autism and other special needs
- Partially funded by the National Endowment for the Arts, the East Bay Community Foundation, a Theatre Bay Area CA$H Grant, and the generosity of individual donors.
- World premiere: February 18, 2017 at the Osher Studio in Berkeley, CA with Bay Area Children's Theatre
- In-school Workshops: September 2015-December 2015, and January 2017 in various Bay Area schools.
Bad Kitty On Stage!
- Stage adaptation of Nick Bruel's Bad Kitty series
- Co-comissioned by Bay Area Children's Theatre & Oregon Children's Theatre
- World premiere: January & February 2016 in Portland and the SF Bay Area
- Subsequent Productions: January 2017 with TYKEs at the JCC Rochester, NY. May-June 2017 with Gifford Family Theatre in Syracuse, NY.
- Oakland Workshop, August 2015
- Portland Workshop, July 2015
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
- Musical adaptation of Grace Lin's Newbery Honor novel
- World premiere: February 22, 2014 at the Osher Studio in Berkeley, CA with Bay Area Children's Theatre
- Recipient of three Theatre Bay Area Awards in 2014; Finalist in seven categories
The Song of the Nightingale
- Two-act musical based upon Hans Christian Andersen’s The Nightingale
- World premiere: October 11, 2013 with Altarena Playhouse in Alameda, CA
- Nominated for a SF Bay Area Critic's Circle Award for Original Musical
- Developmental reading at Diablo Theatre Company, June 2011
- Staged Reading performance produced by Altarena Playhouse November 22, 2010 at the Little Theater in Alameda, CA
Tales of Olympus Jr.
- One-act, condensed version specifically designed for young actors
- World premiere: September 18, 2015 at the Firehouse Arts Center in Pleasanton, CA with Civic Arts Stage Company and Bay Area Children's Theatre.
Tales of Olympus: A Greek Myth Musical
- Two-act Children’s Musical based upon Greek mythology
- World premiere: December 8, 2012 at the Osher Studio in Berkeley, CA with Bay Area Children’s Theatre
- Toured twenty-six elementary schools in the Bay Area in Jan-Feb 2013
- Touring the greater Chicagoland area with American Eagle Productions.
- Cabaret show for teens with original script
- Performance produced by Bay Area Children’s Theatre June 3-5, 2011 at the Diablo Valley Performing Arts Center in San Ramon, CA
Beasts of Broadway
- Cabaret show for teens with original script
- Performance produced by Bay Area Children’s Theatre February 4-6, 2011 at the Diablo Valley Performing Arts Center in San Ramon, CA
AWARDS, GRANTS & HONORS
2017 Edgerton Foundation New Play Award to TheatreWorks for The Four Immigrants
2017 NAMT Production Grant to TheatreWorks for The Four Immigrants
2017 Lafayette Community Foundation, Anonymous Donor to Town Hall Theatre for The Song of the Nightingale
2017 Bill Graham Foundation Grant to Town Hall Theatre for The Song of the Nightingale
2017 Mechanics Bank Grant, Lafayette Branch to Town Hall Theatre for The Song of the Nightingale
2016 Theatre Bay Area CA$H Grant for Story Explorers
2016 East Bay Fund for Artists Grant for Story Explorers
2016 Resident Playwright with Playwrights Foundation
2015 NEA Grant to Bay Area Children's Theatre for Story Explorers
2015 NAMT Writers Residency Grant to TheatreWorks for The Four Immigrants
2015 Theatre Bay Area CA$H Grant for The Four Immigrants
2014 TheatreWorks Writers Retreat participant
2013 Theatre Bay Area Titan Award recipient
2012 East Bay Fund for Artists Grant for Tales of Olympus
2012 Safeway Foundation Grant to Bay Area Children's Theatre for Tales of Olympus
EDUCATION & TRAINING
2016 Resident Playwright with Playwrights Foundation
2013 Business of Arts Workshop: East Bay Community Foundation & Center for Cultural Innovation
2013 ATLAS for Playwrights: Theatre Bay Area
2004 BA Music & Rhetoric: University of California, Berkeley
Dramatists Guild of America
Theatre Communications Group
Theatre Bay Area
Theatre for Young Audiences/USA
PANEL, SPEAKING & GUEST LECTURE EXPERIENCE
2017 Presenter, Song Slam, One Theatre World Conference; Berkeley, CA
2017 Guest Artist, Theatre and Loneliness, TDPS department, UC Berkeley
2017 Resume Doctor, Theatre Bay Area Annual Conference
2016 Panelist, How to Get Your Musical Produced, Musical Cafe
2015 CA$H Grant Panelist, Theatre Bay Area
2015 Master Class Teacher, Song and Dramaturgy, Playwrights' Center of San Francisco
2015 Guest Lecturer, Theatre/Forensics, San Jose State University
2015 TBA Conference Panelist, Intrinsic Impact
2014 Open Door Panelist, TheatreWorks (San Francisco State, Berkeley High, Willow Glen High)
2016 The Dramatist, "What are the Obligations of Writing Outside Your Own Ethnicity?" Contributor
Beauty & the Beast Jr., Bay Area Children's Theatre
Mulan Jr., Bay Area Children's Theatre
The Little Mermaid Jr., Bay Area Children’s Theatre
Once Upon a Mattress (Kids Version), Bay Area Children’s Theatre
Shout! The Mod Musical, Tri-Valley Repertory Theatre
Seussical Jr., Bay Area Children’s Theatre
Aladdin Jr., Bay Area Children’s Theatre
The Last Five Years, Tri-Valley Repertory Theatre
Café Broadway, Bay Area Children’s Theatre
The Nightingale, Altarena Playhouse/Min Kahng (Staged Reading)
Beasts of Broadway, Bay Area Children’s Theatre
THEATRE MUSIC & VOCAL DIRECTION
The Song of the Nightingale, Altarena Playhouse, Christina Lazo dir.
Reel Blondes: Back to the Roots, Jeff Seaberg dir.
Tales of Olympus: A Greek Myth Musical, Bay Area Children’s Theatre, Emily Morrison dir.
Annie, Tri-Valley Repertory Theatre, John Maio dir.
Alice in Wonderland Jr., Bay Area Children’s Theatre, Meredith Meeks dir.
Bat Boy, Tri-Valley Repertory Theatre, Paul Plain dir.
Little Shop of Horrors, Town Hall Kids, Joel Roster dir.
I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change, Altarena Playhouse, Noah Haydon dir.
Once On This Island Jr., Bay Area Children’s Theatre, Meredith Meeks dir.
HONK!, A Dramatic Cure, Chris Ciabattoni dir.
Peter Pan, Alameda High School, Fred Chacon dir.
Cinderella (R&H), Tri-Valley Repertory Theatre, Kathleen Breedveld dir.
The Wizard of Oz, Bay Area Children’s Theatre, Meredith Meeks dir.
Disney’s Cinderella Kids, Bay Area Children’s Theatre, Rebecca Posamentier dir.
Annie, Alameda Civic Light Opera, Christina Lazo dir.
Seussical, Tri-Valley Repertory Theatre, Eric Neiman dir.
Beauty & the Beast, Pleasanton Playhouse, Kathleen Breedveld dir.
Urinetown, Pleasanton Playhouse, Eric Neiman dir.
Little Shop of Horrors, San Ramon Community Theater, Mike Kasin dir.
Story Explorers, Clayton, Bay Area Children's Theatre, Hannah Dworkin dir.
Seussical TYA, Cat in the Hat Understudy, Bay Area Children's Theatre, DerekTravis Collard dir.
The Day the Crayons Quit, the Musical, Green Crayon, Developmental Reading, Bay Area Children's Theatre, Nina Meehan dir., written by Austin Zumbro
I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change, Tri-Valley Repertory Theatre, Christina Lazo dir.
Reel Blondes, Dante/Ensemble, Victoria’s Reel Blondes, Jeff Seaberg dir.
Tales of Olympus, Hermes, Bay Area Children’s Theatre, Emily Morrison dir.
Legally Blonde, Lowell, Diablo Theatre Company, Gia Solari dir.
Japanese Demons and How To Date Them (Reading), Akira (lead), Playwrights Center SF
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Joseph (lead), Tri-Valley Repertory Theatre, Todd Aragon dir.
I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change, Tri-Valley Repertory Theatre, Christina Lazo dir.
Lady Windermere’s Fan, Lord Darlington (lead), San Leandro Players, Hallie Hunt dir.
Godspell, Jesus (lead), A Dramatic Cure, Chris Ciabattoni dir.
Another Depression (Staged Reading), Oral Hender (lead), Sylvia Bayeux dir.
HONK!, The Cat, Contra Costa Christian Theatre, Derrick Silva dir.
Thoroughly Modern Millie, Jimmy Smith, Pleasanton Playhouse, John Baiocchi dir.
A Christmas Carol, Bob Cratchit, San Ramon Community Theater, Mike Kasin dir.
Jekyll & Hyde, John Utterson, Diablo Valley College, Buddy Butler dir.
OTHER MUSICAL/THEATRE WORK
Marketing Director, Bay Area Children's Theatre, 2014 to 2017
- Construct and execute marketing strategy, according to budget and business plan goals
- Develop and implement audience feedback and research
- Oversee brand messaging and awareness
Casting Director, Bay Area Children's Theatre, 2016 to 2017
- Coordinate auditions and callbacks for Mainstage performances, student matinees and touring shows
- Assist creative teams with and communicate with actors about casting process and decisions
- Maintain database of actor headshots & resumés
Publicity Coordinator, Altarena Playhouse, 2014 to 2015
- Generate and distribute communication and press materials for season productions
- Manage publicity calendar
- Maintain website & social media
Youth Education Program Instructor, Bay Area Children’s Theatre, 2010 to 2014
- Primary teacher and director of the early teen class (ages 11-14)
- Direct and produce high quality shows for young performers each session
- Provide specific feedback to parents for guidance on future theatre goals for their children
Songwriter/Singer, 1995 to present
- Have written over 50 pop and art songs (unrelated to theatre)
- Have performed at special events ranging from open mic nights to City of Pleasanton Chamber of Commerce Employee Appreciation Banquet
Marketing Coordinator, Bay Area Children’s Theatre, 2011 to 2014
- Coordinate with graphic designer, copywriter and director to create and distribute marketing pieces
- Maintain Marketing Calendar
Church Pianist, Epiphany Lutheran Church, 2011 to 2014
- Play liturgical and special music each Sunday
- Accompany choir and other special performances/services at the church
Voice Teacher, Self-employed, 2008 to 2013
- Self-run studio consisting of about 15 students
- Conduct semi-annual recitals for students
- Train students in technique, artistry, showmanship and theory