The Song of the Nightingale
Book, Music & Lyrics by Min Kahng
Based on Hans Christian Andersen's The Nightingale
When Mei Lin, an ambitious kitchen-maid, hears that the Emperor of China is searching for the Nightingale – the bird whose song brings hope to the people of the land, she offers to help find and capture the bird in exchange for a lofty promotion. This transaction has tragic consequences, however, as Mei Lin soon learns that the Emperor is a foolish ruler who cannot see beyond the bird's plain outer appearance. Based on a Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale, The Song of the Nightingale is a magical, musical romp that reminds us that true beauty and worth is always found within.
For updates on The Song of the Nightingale, please sign up for my monthly newsletter!
"The Song of the Nightingale" in the media:
- Revised 'Song of the Nightingale' swoops into Lafayette, Mercury News
- Town Hall Theatre's 'The Song of the Nightingale,' Pink Section, SF Chronicle
- 5 Events Not To Miss, Theatre & Dance, Diablo Magazine
- Castro Valley man writes musical for Asian actors, Mercury News
Reviews for the 2017 Town Hall Theatre production
- "...a wonderfully funny as well as poignant theatrical piece." - Sally Hogarty, East Bay Times
- "A sweet and simple story, it also touches upon deeper themes such as the nature of art, real and artificial pleasures, life and death." - Sophie Braccini, Lamorinda Weekly
- "Kahng’s infectious music harmonizes perfectly with the exuberant cast" - Robert M. Gardner, Theatrius
- "Kahng has crafted a winning musical and story." - Vince Mediaa, VMedia Backstage
- "Enchanting... a very well-calibrated production of a treasured story." - Marc Gonzalez, The Road to 1000
Reviews for the 2013 Altarena Playhouse production
The Song of the Nightingale is available for perusal!
Contact Min for further information!
Cast: 13+ Actors (2 Female Leads, 1 Female Dance Lead, 3 Male Leads, 1 Child, Ensemble w/ featured roles)
Music: 3-piece score (Piano, Flute/Clarinet, Percussion)
Duration: 2 hr 15 (including 15-minute intermission)
- Sep-Oct 2017: Town Hall Theatre in Lafayette, CA
- Oct-Nov 2013, World Premiere: Altarena Playhouse in Alameda, CA
- May 2017, Developmental Reading: Town Hall Theatre in Lafayette, CA
- Jun 2011, Developmental Reading: Diablo Theatre Company in Walnut Creek, CA
- Nov 2010, Staged Reading: Altarena Playhouse at the Little Theatre in Alameda, CA
AWARDS & HONORS
- 2017: Lafayette Community Foundation, Anonymous Donor for Student Matinee performances at Town Hall Theatre
- 2017: Bill Graham Foundation Grant for Student Matinee performances at Town Hall Theatre
- 2017: Mechanics Bank Grant, Lafayette Branch for Student Matinee performances at Town Hall Theatre
- 2011: Nominated for a SF Bay Area Theatre Critic's Circle Award for Original Musical