The Four Immigrants:
An American Musical Manga
Book, Music & Lyrics by Min Kahng
Based on the Manga Yonin Shosei by Henry Kiyama, Translated as The Four Immigrants Manga by Frederik L. Schodt
World Premiere to be produced by TheatreWorks Silicon Valley July-August 2017!
CLICK HERE to subscribe to the TW 2017-2018 Season!
Follow the adventures of Charlie, Frank, Fred and Henry – four turn-of-the-20th-century Japanese immigrants – as they pursue their American dreams in the face of all manner of obstacles from The Great Quake of 1906 to anti-Japanese prejudice. Driven by a vaudeville- and ragtime-inspired score, this comic-strip-on-stage goes beyond the cartoon frame, exploring what it means to find home in a foreign land.
- Jul-Aug 2017, World Premiere: TheatreWorks Silicon Valley at the Lucie Stern Theatre in Palo Alto, CA
- Apr 2017, Workshop: Playwrights Foundation in San Francisco, CA
- Aug 2016, TheatreWorks New Works Festival at the Lucie Stern Theatre in Palo Alto, CA
- Dec 6, 2015, Staged Reading: TheatreWorks Silicon Valley in Redwood City, CA
- Jan 2015, Excerpt Reading: Musical Cafe Showcase at Musically Minded Academy in Oakland, CA
- Apr 2014, TheatreWorks Writers Retreat in Redwood City, CA
AWARDS & HONORS
- 2017: Edgerton Foundation New Play Award, Edgerton Foundation
- 2017: NAMT Production Grant, National Fund for New Musicals
- 2015: NAMT Writer's Residency Grant, National Fund for New Musicals
- 2015: CA$H Grant, Theatre Bay Area
PRESS & REVIEWS